It’s easy to find and snap up the antique or contemporary item of your dreams. All it takes is some careful bidding, a little know-how and some luck. Just follow these steps for auction success!
Firstly, you will need to register with Reception before you can start bidding.
- It takes approximately 10 minutes and as auctions get really busy, please leave enough time to complete the process.
- You will be asked for the following information: your name, address, telephone number, email address and a valid credit/debit card. Alternatively you may be asked to leave a cash deposit.
- Once registration is complete, you won’t need to do this again (but please let us know if you have any changes to your personal details). On your second visit, just state your name and show some photo id at reception to get all the relevant documentation you need for the auction.
- Next, a paddle will be handed to you. It’s a card printed with a personal buyer number for you to use in the auction. A different number will be allocated for any future auctions you attend. It is important that you quote this number on any communication with us.
- During the auction, when you wish to bid on an item, just raise the paddle and make the auctioneer aware of your intention.
- Other bidders will do the same thing and they may bid against you.
- The auctioneer will continue to accept bids until all but one of the bidders drops out.
If you can’t attend the auction there are several options available to you. One of them is to leave an ‘absentee bid’.
This enables you to leave a price value that the auctioneer and the salesroom clerk can bid up to, on your behalf, during the auction. They will always try to secure the item for the lowest price possible.
It’s good to know that if two bids of equal value are received, preference is given to the bid that arrives first. Preference is also given to bids left directly with Lots Road Auctions over those left with the-saleroom.com. A top tip is to leave an amount that doesn’t end in a zero or five.
i.e. £203 instead of £200
If you are willing to be flexible about the price you pay for a lot, try using a maximum of three + symbols for each 10% increase you are willing to go up to.
i.e. £300+ = £330
£300++ = £360
NB: a lot won’t be sold for less than 50% of the highest ‘absentee bid’, e.g. A £300 ‘commission bid’ means a lot will not be sold for less than £150.
It couldn’t be simpler to leave an online commission bid.
First click the ‘Register to Bid’ button. This will ask you to login with your email & password. If don’t have an account with us then you will need to click the ‘Create New Account’ button first. NB if you know you have registered online prior to November 2020 and have not changed your email in that time, just click on the forgotten password link and you will be directed to create a new password.
Next, go to the lot page to leave a bid. There are two options; Autobid & Absentee Bid.
- By leaving an Autobid our system will automatically bid on your behalf up to the amount you specify here during the live sale. Your bids will appear as live internet bids to the Auctioneer, and the Auctioneer will not be aware of your maximum bid at any time. This means that you may well be holding the bid at one increment below your top bid. In this event, you're winning the item at a lower price and cannot bid against yourself. This means that somebody else may have the chance steal your lot for your maximum bid.
In auction jargon, this is called being wrong-footed.
To avoid disappointment, we highly recommend using our +1 feature when leaving an Autobid.
There is an additional 3% surcharge for this facility. It is not possible to change or cancel an autobid.
- On leaving an absentee bid our system will forward your bid to the auction house for the auctioneer to bid on your behalf. The Auctioneer will be aware of your maximum bid. There is no additional surcharge for this facility.
First time buyers will need to register and provide full contact details, before a bid can be placed. You will then receive a confirmation email to confirm the bid has been accepted.
- Check online commission bids by going to ‘My Account - My Bids’. You can also amend or delete bids from that page too.
- Personal details can be changed by going to the ‘My Account’ page and amending the relevant contact information.
- If you bid successfully you will be emailed with a copy of the invoice and a link to payment methods.
- All lots must be paid for and collected by 2pm on the Tuesday after the auction.
- Storage charges will be incurred after this time at a rate of £20 + VAT per day, per lot.
You can now place ‘absentee bids’ from 6pm every Thursday and bid live whilst the auction is taking place. Our catalogue goes live 10 days before the sale.
Follow these steps for a smooth bidding experience:
- From 6pm Thursday you can register through our online platform auctions.lotsroad.com.
- As soon as you’ve received confirmation of your registration you can leave an absentee bid, autobid or live bid when the lots comes up for auction.
- Leave plenty of time to register for the auction.
- Absentee bids are available up to 10 minutes before the lot comes up.
- There is an added 3% + VAT (3.6% including VAT) surcharge added on all successful autobids & live bids through our website. We also have live bidding through the-saleroom.com with a surcharge of 4.95% + VAT.
- Lots Road Auction’s standard Terms & Conditions apply.
A timed auction runs for a period of time and is only available online, without an auctioneer. Lots are available to view during our usual viewing times and condition reports can be requested as soon as the catalogue is live.
Each lot is available to bid on until the auction closes, the time available will be clearly indicated. Any lots that receive bids will be extended by five minutes. Bidding starts at a pre-set amount and the current highest bid is automatically displayed.
A bidder leaves a maximum bid and the system automatically executes that bid to the next increment if there is a competitive bid, or to reach the lot reserve. An email alert is sent to any bidder that is out-bid. Bids can only be accepted that reach the incremental settings of the auction, e.g. a bid of 1280 will not be accepted on a lot with a starting bid of £1000, as the increments are set at £50.
It is not possible to cancel a bid, although the amount can be lowered. Please be aware that any lowered bid will only go down to the reserve or just above any other bid, so you may still be successful.
There is an additional 3% surcharge for timed internet bidding. All standard Buyers Terms and Conditions apply.
We recommend Mailboxes, etc. for all small items to be packed and delivered.
Telephone bids will incur a 3% (+VAT) surcharge on every successful bid.
A member of staff will call the bidder and relay their bids to the auctioneer during the bidding of the desired lot. Please respond quickly and clearly so our staff member can do the best possible job they can for you. The auctioneer’s hammer can come down very quickly, once down the sale of that lot is over.
- There is a maximum of five live telephone bids per lot. Early booking is advised!
- Each applicable lot to have an expected hammer price of £500.
- A member of staff will call the bidder approximately five lots ahead of the intended lot. Be sure to provide a contact number you can be reached on at all times.
- Telephone lines and mobile phone reception aren’t 100% reliable. All telephone bidders are asked to provide two telephone numbers, plus a covering bid. It means that the auction clerk can bid on the buyer’s behalf in the event of a communication failure.
The buyer's premium is a percentage the buyer pays in addition to the hammer price.
The current premium is 25% on all lots + VAT (30% including VAT).
There is a charge of 3% + VAT (3.6% including VAT) on all successful autobids & live bids via lotsroad.com.
There is an additional charge of 4.95% + VAT (5.94% including VAT) for live bidding via www.the-saleroom.com.
Lots can be paid for after the auction, with the following methods:
- Instant Bank Transfer (preferred):
Bank: HSBC, Pall Mall, SW1Y
Acc Name: Lots Road Auctions
Sort code: 40 05 20
Acc Number: 0137 3870
IBAN: GB21HBUK 40052001373870
Swift Code: HBUKGB4B
- Debit card
- Credit card (£1000 maximum transaction)
Please use your Buyer reference/surname and auction date as the payment reference and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to inform us of the payment
Lots must be paid for and removed by 1pm on the Tuesday after the auction, failing which the Auctioneer shall not be responsible if the same are lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, and all lots not removed shall remain at the risk of the buyer and subject to a storage charge of £20+VAT per lot per day. N.B. We are unable to provide a packing service and only hold a minimal amount of packing material.
We recommend Callaghan & Newbury for transport of all lots.
Please contact Bill Callaghan: 07903 299810 or Terry Newbury: 07794 751445.
Hedley's Worldwide 020 8965 8733 hedleyshumpers.com
Davies Turner International 01322 277558 daviesturner.com
Anglo Pacific World Movers 020 8965 1234 anglopacific.co.uk
Brothers STS 01708 607900 brothers-sts.co.uk
Trans-Portugal Removals 020 8807 6677 trans-Portugal.co.uk
Andrews Shipping 020 8805 5588 andrewsshipping.co.uk
Mondial Forwarding (Greece/Cyprus) 020 8805 3344 mondialtransport.co.uk
Mail Boxes Etc. 020 7352 6344 email@example.com mbechelsea.co.uk
Alban Shipping 08006 125060 albanshipping.co.uk
E.B Removals and Storage (Ireland) 07831 673 525 firstname.lastname@example.org
SPECIALIST PIANO REMOVAL
Gordon 07956 489223
S & E Removals 020 8424 2158
As you may be aware several countries prohibit the importation of property containing materials from endangered species, such as rhino horn, ivory, animal skin, coral and tortoiseshell. If you are interested in bidding on a lot containing these materials and you wish to export please make sure you are familiar with all relevant customs regulations prior to bidding: Animal and Plant Health Agency.
It is the buyers’ sole responsibility to obtain any relevant export or import licences.
An item marked as subject to Artists Resale Rights (Droit de Suite) means a royalty charge for the artist will be applied. This affects artworks of living artists and to those who have died in the last 70 years, from applicable countries. An artwork must sell for over 1,000 euros (the equivalent pounds sterling), to qualify and is charged at 4% of the hammer price. For further information go to DACS and ACS.
Lots Road Auctions will collect the royalty from the buyer, at the point of payment, for any qualifying works of art.
CONDITIONS OF SALE APPLICABLE TO BUYERS
1. Definitions. In these Lots Road Auctions act only as auctioneers and agents for the seller and the representative of Lots Road Auctions conducting the auction is called the 'Auctioneer'.
2. General. Whilst Lots Road Auctions makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of their catalogues and the description of any lot:-
(a) Each lot as set out in the catalogue or as divided or combined with any other lot or lots sold by the seller with all faults, imperfections and errors of description. All electrical items are untested.
(b) Lots Road Auctions do not accept responsibility for the authenticity, attribution, genuineness, origin, authorship, date, age, period, condition or quality of any lot unless they have been instructed in writing by the seller to so certify, and in such case the auctioneers do so as agents of the seller and are not themselves responsible for such claims. Before bidding bidders must ensure they are satisfied with the condition of the lot - for details of condition please contact email@example.com. We cannot guarantee a response to condition and image requests received after 2 hours before the start of the auction
(c) All statements whether printed in the catalogue, made orally or in writing as to any of the matters set out in (b) above are statements of opinion only and are not to be taken as being or implying any warranties or representations of fact by Lots Road Auctions unless they have been instructed in writing by the seller to so certify.
(d) Any claim under any Statute must be received in writing by the Auctioneers within ten days of the day of the sale.
3. The Auction.(a) The Auctioneer has absolute discretion to divide any lot, to combine any two or more lots or withdraw any lot or lots from the sale, to refuse bids, regulate bidding or cancel the sale without in any case giving any reason or without previous notice. He may bid on behalf of the seller for all goods which are being offered subject to reserve or at the auctioneer's discretion.
(b) The highest bidder shall be the buyer except in the case of a dispute. The Auctioneer may at his sole discretion determine the advance of bidding or refuse a bid. If during the auction the Auctioneer considers that a dispute has arisen, he has absolute discretion to settle it or to re-offer the lot.
(c) Each lot is put up for sale subject to any reserve price placed by the seller. Where no reserve has been placed (but not otherwise) the seller has the right to bid either personally or by any one person on his behalf (who may be the Auctioneer).
(d) All conditions, notices, descriptions, statements and other matters in the catalogue and elsewhere concerning any lot are subject to any statements modifying or affecting the same made by the Auctioneer from the rostrum prior to any bid being accepted for the lot.
4. Rescission. Notwithstanding any other terms of these Conditions, if within fourteen days after the sale Lots Road Auctions have received from the buyer of any lot notice in writing that in his view the lot is a deliberate forgery and within twenty-one days after such notification the buyer returns the same to Lots Road Auctions in the same condition as at the time of sale and by producing evidence, the burden of proof to be upon the buyer, satisfies Lots Road Auctions that considered in the light of the entry in the catalogue the lot is a deliberate forgery, then the sale of the lot will be rescinded and the purchase price of the same refunded. The seller and the buyer agree to be bound by Lots Road Auction's decision.
5. Default. Lots Road Auctions disclaim responsibility for default by either the buyer or the seller because they act as agents for the seller only and therefore do not pay out to the seller until payment is received from the buyer. Instructions given by telephone are accepted at the sender's risk and must be confirmed in writing forthwith.
6. In the event of a sale by private treaty both the seller and the buyer agree to be bound by the General and any Special Conditions of Sale.
7. Third Party Liability. Every person on Lots Road Auction's premises at any time shall be deemed to be there at his own risk. He shall have no claim against Lots Road Auctions in respect of any accident which may occur or injury, damage or loss howsoever caused, save in so far as the injury, damage or loss shall be caused by the direct negligence of Lots Road Auction's employees.
8. Inspection. Opportunity is given for inspection and each buyer by making a bid for a lot acknowledges that he has satisfied himself fully before bidding by inspection or otherwise to all the Sale Conditions, the physical condition of and description of the lot including but not restricted to whether the lot is damaged or has been repaired or restored. It is the buyer's responsibility to measure any item to ensure that it can be accommodated in its intended location. All buyers must check their purchases before the lots leave the building. Lots Road Auctions will accept no claims for loss or damage thereafter. All electrical items are untested.
9. Property and Risk. The legal title in a lot shall not pass to the buyer until the lot(s) has been paid for in full and the Auctioneers shall be entitled to a lien on any lot sold until the purchase price and all charges (as defined in 10 below) are paid in full, but each lot is at the sole risk of the buyer from the fall of the hammer. Each buyer shall forthwith give his full names and permanent address and if called upon to do so by the Auctioneer shall forthwith pay Lots Road Auctions such proportion of the purchase price as the Auctioneer may require. If the buyer fails to do so, the lot may at the auctioneer's sole direction be put up again and re-sold.
10. Every bidder shall be deemed to act as principal unless there is in force a written acknowledgement by Lots Road Auctions that he acts as agent on behalf of a named principal.
11. Removal of Goods.
(a) Purchases may be cleared (after payment) during the auction with the aid of the porters. All lots shall be paid for and removed at the buyer's risk and expense by 1pm on the Tuesday after the auction, failing which the Auctioneer shall not be responsible if the same are lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, and all lots not so removed shall remain at the risk of the buyer and subject to a warehousing charge of £20 +VAT per lot per day. If they are not paid for and removed within two days of the sale the Auctioneer may re-sell them by auction or privately without notice to the buyer. Any liability which there may be on the part of the Auctioneer in respect of any loss shall be restricted to a maximum of the price paid by the buyer of the lot. N.B. We are unable to provide a packing service and only hold a minimal amount of packing material.
(b) In the event of any failure of the buyer to comply with any of the above conditions the damages recoverable by the seller or the Auctioneers from the defaulter shall include any loss arising on any re-sale of the lots, together with the charges and expenses in respect of both sales, and together with interest at 10% above HSBC Base Rate upon the price of any lot which has not been paid for within forty-eight hours of the sale, and any money deposited in part payment shall be held by the Auctioneers on account of any liability of the defaulter to them or to the seller.
12. Purchase Price. The buyer shall pay the hammer price together with a premium at the stated rates on the hammer price of 25% + VAT (30% incl.). Under the Auctioneers' Margin Scheme operated by HM Customs & Excise, the premium does attract VAT as an addition to the stated premium rate.
There is an additional surcharge for live bidding, see below.
Lots on which Value Added Tax is payable on or included in the hammer price are indicated in the catalogue or description sheet with an asterisk (*). VAT is payable on or included in the hammer price of such lots at the rates prevailing on the day of the auction
Certain works by living artists will incur an Artist's Resale Right royalty charge of 4%, when sold with a hammer price of €1000 (approx. £850) or more. Artist's Resale Right royalties are not subject to VAT.
13. Fixed Bids. Lots Road Auctions will execute bids on behalf of intending buyers unable to attend the sale at no charge. Lots Road Auctions undertake to purchase lots as cheaply as allowed by other bids and reserves, but will not be sold for less than 50% of the highest 'Fixed Bid' left. Bids must be submitted in writing (in person or via email) and whilst every care is taken in carrying out instructions Lots Road Auctions cannot be held responsible for errors or omissions made in carrying out such bids. That in the event of commission bids being forwarded to the Auctioneer at the same value but by different bidders the Auctioneer retains the right to award the purchasing bid to the bidder of choice without explanation of precedence.
14. Live Bidding. Lots Road Auctions offer an online bidding service through our website or via www.the-saleroom.com for bidders who cannot attend the sale.
In completing the bidder registration and providing credit/debit card details and unless alternative arrangements are agreed with Lots Road Auctions you:
1. confirm that you have read, understood and will comply with Lots Road Auctions Buyer's Conditions of Sale
2. confirm that you are authorised to provide these credit/debit card details to Lots Road Auctions through
Please note that any lots purchased via our website will be subject to an additional 3% fixed charge + VAT at the rate imposed and with the-saleroom at a rate of 4.95% + VAT on the hammer price
LOTS ROAD AUCTIONS Company Registration Number: 3943446
Vat Registration Number: 243 0680 84
Please enter your email address below to proceed with resetting your password.
10am - 6pm
10am - 6pm
9am - 11am
Please note: We are only open for viewing on the above days.
10am - 5pm
10am - 5pm
Please note: We can only view & consign items on the above days.
9am - 6pm
9am - 6pm
9am - 6pm
9am - 6pm
10am - 6pm
10am - 6pm
9am - 6pm
Auction On Sunday - 11am